Sunday, March 29, 2009

First Hand Dyed Yarn




Bruce, Michael and Jason.





Michael's 17Th birthday

Last night after the birthday party I decided to dye some Hand Maiden Casbah with frosting dye. I first put it in a glass jar with hot water and the dye and some white vinegar and let it sit for at least 5 hours. Then I took it out and rinsed it out for quite a while trying to remove the excess dye. And let me tell you that there was a lot of excess dye.



First drying time








Then I realized that I had not heat set it so I had to warm up a pot of water to about 130 degrees, place the yarn, hoping that I would not felt it, into the pot and let it steep for about 20 minutes. I then ran warm water over the pretty yarn still seeing a lot of dye pouring out of the pile of yarn. I carefully draped the yarn over a plastic hanger to let it dry over night. I am very happy with the results. These pics don't really show the different colors I got by mixing blue and purple together. It has areas of dark and light purple with other areas of pretty blue. I can't wait to show it off to the Fairbanks Fiberistas this week at knit night.





All dry now










and waiting for the perfect sock pattern


No comments: